Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mixed Dal Vada


Ingredients:
  • Mixed beans - 3/4 cup (combination of Moong dal, Chana dal, Moth dal, Black eye peas, Urad dal or any beans of your choice)
  • Soya beans - 1/4 cup
  • Chopped onion - 1 medium
  • Green chillies - 3 -4
  • Ginger -1"
  • Garlic - 1 pod
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves - few
  • Coriander leaves - few
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for frying
Method:
  • Soak all the dals for 6-8 hours. Add green chillies, ginger, garlic, salt to mixed dal and grind into a course paste
  • Add cumin seeds, chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves and mix well
  • Heat the oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot take a lemon size of the mixture in your left palm, press into round and make a hole in middle of the vada. Drop them gently into hot oil
  • Deep fry them till they are golden brown on both sides
  • Serve hot with ketchup

2 comments:

FUYU said...

HI!! I would love to try this recipe.. I have eaten Dal Vada in a restaurant before, and I really liked it.

I have been a frequent but quiet visitor of your blog for quite some time. I am a little sad you have stopped updating. I've been interested in cooking indian food for a long time and I often come here to see the delicious recipes that I might be able to try. But it has been a bit difficult since I have been having a lot of trouble to find the ingredients.

I saw that you are in San Jose -- where do you usually buy your groceries? I cannot find the dals that you have listed, or curry leaves... Could you please let me know! I would appreciate it very much! I am in San Jose near Milpitas.

Uma Akella said...

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog regularly. We moved out of San Jose in May '09 and I did not get chance to update the site for sometime. You can find the ingredients I mentioned in any major indian grocery store like 'India cash and carry' in Sunnyvale.

I started adding new recipes recently - Keep visiting!